Food is one of our most loved and an essential commodity for survival. Eating is something we love to do, and even more so when it’s shared with the people, we love and admire the most. When eating beautiful and delicious food, we feel whole and wonderful. I don’t know about you, but I look forward to more meals than other ones during my day.
Mindful eating is based on the notion that we fully engage with the food at hand, and being aware of our hunger cues to provide our body with the nourishment it needs. Mindful eating is a practice that sees food as fuel and to avoid placing foods into categories, such as ‘good’ or ‘bad.’ This is the core strategy of this diet culture.
It is believed that mindful eating assists with weight loss and promotes healthy eating habits that are sustainable long term. It also combats emotional and binge eating. It is bringing back the critical element of eating, which is to enjoy the food, whilst in a comfortable/non-distracting environment. It’s sharing with the people we love, and being present for them, listening to their conversation while creating a sense of togetherness. In our fast-paced environment, this brings unity and peace back into our lives.
Here are some simple ways to add mindful eating into your world, and that of the people you love and care for.
5 point checklist guide to mindful eating & effortless weight loss
- Give thanks and gratitude for the food you are about to eat: Showing appreciation and blessing our food is a very spiritual and shows a connection from farm to table. The whole process of the growing and farming of the food, the people involved in the love, care and production of the food is very magical. Giving thanks for this increases your overall graciousness for the simplicity of life. Try the mantra below, or choose your own: “This wonderful food is a beautiful gift from the universe; the earth, sky and numerous loving beings that put in hard work and kindness by bringing it to us within this meal. We/I thank you and am very grateful for your nurturing love towards me.”
- Serve food in moderate portions: Moderate eating is essential for mindful eating. This is wonderful for two reasons. One is that smaller amounts help you avoid overeating and weight gain, and the second is less wastefulness of food and the resources of the planet. Choose to use smaller plates, only filling them up slightly to help with moderate portion sizes during each meal.
- Chew your food thoroughly and savour the taste of each mouthful: Slowing down your eating helps you digest your food correctly. It also diminishes the chances of intestinal and sumach distress (by ingesting air or not chewing the food small enough to be adequately digested). Breaking down the food begins in the mouth, with the release of enzymes to help break down the food. Try and chew 20-40 times, and allow the flavour of the food to linger on a bit longer.
- Don’t skip meals: Skipping meals makes it a lot harder to decide on nourishing and positive food choices. Hunger forces us sometimes to grab whatever is within arms reach (as you know, fast food tends to be the quickest and cheapest alternative!) which cause, not only weight gain, but makes us feel horrible and moody. This is not a good thing if we want to live our life to our fullest potential. Take the time to plan and create or purchase meals that suit your lifestyle, as well as having snacks that nourish you in between meals. Try and eat at the same time each day, so that your body gets into a rhythm. Always give yourself enough time to savour and enjoy the food you are eating, so you are engaging all your senses. Food is a delight, so make sure you become more aware of how amazing it is.
- Eat more plant-based foods for your health, and that of the planets: Mindful eating is about looking beyond what’s on our plate, and reviewing the consequences of certain foods we purchase. Some types of animal food cause cancer or put us at a high risk of heart disease and obesity. They also have an equally destructive effect on our planet. We could all contribute to reducing global warming emissions by eating a diet that’s rich in vegetables or adapting to a higher ratio of vegetarian food choices. Making the switch once or twice a week has a measurable effect on our planet! Imagine everyone doing this for the rest of their lifetime!! Do your farmers and the earth a favour by sourcing local ingredients at farmers or private markets. There are plenty around your neighbourhood.
Think of the results you can achieve with guidance each and every step of the way..
Well, now you can!
With mentoring and guidance, you can achieve your fat loss and muscle building goals in less time and frustration. Imagine, having someone to consult regularly and keep you motivated, as well as on the right path to a new, lean you! Become part of the waiting list by filling out your name and email address to become notified of this membership program. The great thing about this membership is it’s only open for a very short period, and for a small number of people. I want to give the best and most abundant attention to those who want to make changes in their lives. You will also be the first guests to receive the membership for a very small investment – a cost that no one will ever have access to again! You definitely want to be part of this super special deal.
Fill in your details below, to make sure you don’t miss out on this offer for coaching, becoming part of a wonderful and supportive community, as well as getting all of this for a very minimal investment. I can’t wait to see you all on the other side.