As I have found with all my clients and followers on social media, belly fat seems to be the most significant insecurity source for both men and women. The constant lockdown periods have forced everyone to move less and possibly eat more of what they should not. This doesn’t even consider the stress and anxiety of lost income, children at home and illness. The good news is that I can share a few quick and straightforward steps with you to put you on the right path. They are specific but hugely fundamental on your way to finally getting rid of that belly fat for good.
Four kick start ways to say goodbye to belly fat for good.
- Slow down & de-stress: I know you are probably thinking – Ange, is this all? Well, yes, but do you understand how hard it is for A LOT of people to de-stress and slow down? I’m included in this one too! At one stage or another, we may experience prolonged stress levels that are inflammatory and cause us to burn even less body fat. Why is this? When you constantly in the “flight or fight” mode, the body releases glucose into the blood to prepare you for a challenging situation. When the adrenaline wears off, the blood glucose levels drop, giving your brain signals of hunger and increase appetite. This may come to you in the form of sugar or carb cravings. Sometimes this can lead to unhealthy habits like emotional eating, lack of sleep, skipping your meals and eating comfort foods. Because these foods lack any nutrients, it makes you super tired, making you less likely to get out and exercise. All of this accumulated over time can often lead to weight gain, which means belly fat. In my case, this snacking, which is a form of emotional eating during stressful times, can get out of hand, and I often beat myself up for not becoming more aware of my habits. Don’tDon’t even go about doing that to yourself because things do and will happen in your life. I’d like you to keep in mind that the main thing is to become more vigilant about your eating, self-aware of your bad habits, and nip them in the bud as soon as you can. Only do what’s in your control. That means making healthier choices, stress less, or finding a means that will help you control your stress levels. That should be your number one aim to start with, cascading to weight loss over time. I aim to tackle these stressful elements in your life, work out the triggers it creates for you, and overcome them.
- The great outdoors and its healing powers may come across as airy-fairy, but a lack of sunlight and regular fresh air can increase belly fat levels. Vitamin D is an essential vitamin for our bodies. Food and supplements can be obtained, but the most natural and most accessible source is direct sunlight. May I recommend you get out in the sun as often as possible? Go for a walk several times a day to de-stress and increase your bodies chances of getting that excellent, natural source of vitamin D. Walking for 30 minutes is a great aim to start your outdoor journey.
- Sleep is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Constant sleep deprivation increases your chances of developing belly fat, and It also makes it harder to resist tempting comfort foods when you are tired. When in that state, where we’re constantly searching for ways to increase our energy levels. I know I’ve seen so many people had for biscuits or lollies during that 3 pm slump. That used to be me for many years, and I have had to stop myself from heading to get more caffeine! If we all allowed ourselves to get a couple more hours of sleep, then we would be well on our way to better health and less belly fat.
- Limit belly fat trigger foodsInflammatory foods: this means sugars or anything that could make your gut or tummy flair up. This is one of my main problems because having a sensitive gut means that pretty much anything sets you into bloated central! Fasting helps, as does drinking lots of water, eating your meals stress-free and slowly.Processed foods: Pastries, chips, and all sorts of processed foods you find on the shelves are pretty much belly fat triggers. They contain so much garbage and are unsatisfying nutrition-wise. You can help but eat more of them, leading to more weight gain.Alcohol: I know this will disappoint many people, but like crisps, it’s so hard for people to stop at one drink only. Keep it to one glass, and you should be fine.Sauces and dressings: These are dangerous from an allergy and weight gain perspective. The best condiments are the simplest that contain olive oil, some herbs and vinegar. You can go wrong with those in my book (but I am Greek after all)
- HIIT & Weights for belly fat-blasting. These are my critical exercises for tapping into that belly fat – and body fat, mind you. Building muscle is essential for you, as it will increase your metabolism and reshape your physique. HIIT is great for triggering the burning of stubborn fat – especially belly fat. It’sIt’s intense but only requires 20 minutes of your time, 2–3 times per week. As you continue to increase your weight, you will become stronger and increase your muscle mass. Now ladies, don’t fret because you will never become more significant than a man. What will happen for you is a beautiful, sculpted and muscular body. Now, won’t that be sensational to show off during those summer months?
I hope these tips have helped you and that you will activate them to increase your chances of burning away that stubborn belly fat for good. I hope this helps you somewhat. Feel free to upvote this if you found it helpful in any way. You’reYou’re welcome to join me on my various social platforms, and do go ahead and download your Empowering habit changer guide. I’m also on Instagram.