Beef is a valuable source of high-quality protein, making it an essential part of many diets, especially for those focused on health, fitness, and weight loss.
The protein in beef is complete, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids necessary for the human body’s growth and maintenance. This high protein content is crucial for muscle repair and growth, making beef popular among athletes and those in strength training.
The protein in beef supports muscle health and plays a significant role in weight management. High-protein diets have been shown to increase satiety, reduce hunger, and boost metabolism.
A study published in the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition” found that increasing protein intake can significantly reduce hunger and calorie intake, aiding in weight loss. Beef, a protein-rich food, can be an effective component of a weight loss diet when consumed in moderation and as part of a balanced diet.
In addition to protein, beef is a rich source of essential nutrients like iron, zinc, and B vitamins. Iron is crucial for transporting oxygen in the blood, zinc supports immune function, and B vitamins are vital for energy production.
These nutrients make beef not just a source of protein but a nutritional powerhouse. However, it’s important to choose lean cuts of beef to minimize the intake of saturated fats linked to heart disease when consumed in excess.
Beef Keema is a flavorful and nutritious dish incorporating beef into a rich, spiced curry. This dish combines ground beef with aromatic ingredients like curry powder, ginger, garlic, and Greek yogurt.
The spices, particularly curry powder, are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. Greek yogurt adds a creamy texture and provides additional protein and probiotics, which are beneficial for gut health. The combination of these ingredients makes Beef Keema not only delicious but also nutritionally balanced.
Moreover, including ginger and garlic in Beef Keema offers additional health benefits.
Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory and digestive properties, and garlic has been shown to boost immune function and cardiovascular health.
A study in the “Journal of Nutrition” highlights the role of garlic in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure, further enhancing the health benefits of a dish like Beef Keema.
In summary, beef plays a vital role in protein intake, health, and weight loss due to its high-quality protein, essential nutrients, and the satiety it provides. Beef Keema, with its blend of beef, curry spices, ginger, garlic, and Greek yogurt, is a delectable dish that incorporates these health benefits in a flavorful and satisfying way.
This dish’s combination of nutrients and spices makes it a nutritious choice for those looking to enjoy beef as part of a healthy and balanced diet.
- 500 g Beef mince, 5% fat
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 25 g Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 15 g Fresh coriander, leaves and stalks chopped separately
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 400 g Can chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml Beef stock
- 200 kg Natural yoghurt or plant based yoghurt
- 2 cup Peas, frozen
What you need to do
- Heat a dry frying pan over high heat, and cook the beef mince until browned.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and sauté for 6-8 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the coriander stalks and curry powder and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes of simmering, stir in 1 tbsp of yoghurt. Add the frozen peas and half the coriander leaves.
- Cook for another 2 mins, until peas are heated through, then season again if needed.
- Serve with a portion of rice, garnished with the remaining coriander and a spoonful of yoghurt.